Months ago I found this great website devoted to Abandoned Art . I love the concept. It's called The Art Abandonment Project. The idea is to create small pieces of art and abandon them to the world, for an unsuspecting person to find. It could be anywhere, at the beach, on a park bench, on the trolley, or on the table at a cafe. Share a part of yourself and set your art free into the universe, just for the pure joy of it.
|Abandoned art at a soccer stadium in Gulu, Uganda|
- It's important to let one's art live a life beyond its creator. Imagine what becomes of your art after it is gone.
- Some artists can't seem to let go of their work…even when they sell it. This is a great way to learn to move on.
- It's a generous way to share work with an unsuspecting human being. We all struggle to make ends meet, and this is a way to encourage people to stay involved in the arts.
- This is good for the soul. A random kind act.
Here is how to play:
- Create a piece of art (as simple or as elegant as you like), or recycle an existing piece
- Write a little note explaining that the art is a gift.
- Also mention that if the finder would like to share info about it's fate they can contact you via email. Then you can share the info with the Art Abandonment group if you wish. Its not a bad idea to leave you're web address contact info.
- Also a good idea, photograph the art you're leaving behind.
- Share the location and photo of your gift on the Art Abandonment page for all to enjoy: www.facebook.com/groups/ArtAbandonment/
Examples of notes that some artists have attached to their art:
"I am one of many artists who want to share a small slice of what we love to do. If you are so inclined, please leave a message to this address to inform us of it's fate."
"It's Your Lucky Day!
You found FREE art!
Keep it pass it on, or just leave it here.
Please let us know you found it:
(insert email here)
Art Abandonment encourages artists
to leave art in various locations around
the globe for a lucky, unsuspecting
person to find like YOU!"
This is a gift! It has been secretly placed here for you to discover and enjoy.
I am one of many artists that want to share a part of what we do.
Please leave a message using this email and let us know its fate.